Whether you are considering fashionable custom ties as part of your own collection or for other men in your life e.g. dads gifts, or grooms gifts… or you are just thinking of perfect gifts for men… or if you are contemplating purchasing new designer ties for yourself, it helps if you know a little background on mens ties. Just like electronic equipment include a user manual, seldom do we see anyone offering you assistance on how to wear or tie different ties. malebox has a huge range of classy neckties and we offer you advice on how to tie them! So here are a few of the most famous, popular and classic ways to don mens ties and complete that sharp getup for your big day…. every day.
Below are different methods of tying neckties. Learning these give you variations for your look in terms of “mens ties arsenal” and enable you to look sharp for any day or mood.
a. The Four-in-Hand Knot
The four in hand knot, which is specifically designed for certain mens ties, was classically fashionable in Great Britain during the 1850s. As fashion changed from stiff shirt collars to soft, turned-down collars, the four-in-hand necktie knot gained popularity. This method also became very popular as it is the easiest to learn and do.
1. First wrap the wider end around the narrow end from behind, and then holding it with one hand so that the knot does not slip out of place.
2. After this, wrap the broader end over the narrow end from the front so that it loops around the whole knot, and then take the broader edge of the tie and pass it through the loop.
3. Now pull the broader end of the tie through the front loop that you have created in the previous step. Slowly tighten the loop in order to adjust the knot in the centre of your collar.
Modern office shirts with narrow sleeves and collar work best with this kind of knot.
b. The Half Windsor Knot
This knot is a bit trickier than the others. However, constant practice and experimentation would help include this knot in your routine. This type of knot is usually used during formal occasions such as business meetings or weddings, and would be a good advice if you are getting married and sharing your tie in a set, as part of your groomsmen gifts. In case your best man and groomsmen aren’t familiar with the know, they can simply follow the instructions below…
1. As usual, always keep the broader end of the tie on your right and narrow end on your left.
2. After this, wrap the broader end over the narrow end and hold it with your left hand.
3. And then bring the bigger end from left to the right by passing it under the narrow end.
4. Now, carefully pass the bigger end through the loop that you have just created.
5. And then run it again over the knot from right to left and pass it through the loop.
6. While holding the knot intact, pull the big end of the tie. Then adjust the knot up to your neck by pulling the narrow end.
c. The Windsor Knot
As a variant of the half Windsor knot, this knot is also used for more formal gatherings as opposed to the usual office getup, and would be a useful advice if you are giving or using an off the shelf or custom ties for special occasions, or any other day!
1. Start with the wide end (“W”) of your necktie on the right, extending about 12 inches below the narrow end (“N”) on the left.
2. Cross the wide end over the narrow end.
3. Bring the wide end up through the loop between the collar and your tie.
4. Bring the wide end back down.
5. Pull the wide end underneath the narrow end and to the right, back through the loop and to the right again so that the wide end is inside out.
6. Bring the wide end across the front from right to left.
7. After this pull the wide end up through the loop again.
8. Bring the wide end down through the knot in front.
9. Use both of your hands to tighten the knot carefully and draw it up to the collar.
These methods of tying mens ties are necessary elements and important knowledge for all men with any fashion sense. Each know makes your getup versatile for any situation, work or formal gatherings. Today the central clothing accessory for males apart from his shirts and trousers that exhibits his professional image is the good old necktie. In an environment dominated by corporate perception, prosperity is determined by how people will perceive you. And the classic mens ties maybe the perfect equaliser for you to achieve your goals. Make sure you treat this accessory with the time it deserves to choose and tie it!