Although the popularity of natural skin care has risen in past years, using things such as olive oil to maintain our appearance is nothing new. In fact, ancient civilizations in Egypt, Rome, India and Greece were among the first people to use natural products in their skin care routine. Avocadoes, flower essences, oils and butters were all used on various parts of the body, but one of the most versatile and beneficial products they used was olive oil.
Why Olive Oil?
The reason that the Mediterranean diet is so beneficial is because of its heavy reliance on consuming olive and olive oil. Olives contain a high amount of vitamin E- the essential ingredient for glowing skin, shiny hair and strong nails. Internally, consuming olive oil has also been proven to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, prevent certain types of cancer and help to maintain a healthy weight. The secret lies in the olive’s high level of antioxidants, which attack free radicals in the body that lead to illness, disease and ageing. Not bad for a tiny little fruit!
Olive Oil for Skincare
Now that we know the benefits of olive oil for the health, how do we get the best results for the skin?
Here is a list of how to add olive oil to your skincare regime:
- For hands- Use a dime-sized amount of olive oil and rub into the hands and cuticles daily to fight dry, cracked skin.
- For feet- After having a bath or before bed time, rub olive oil into the feet (concentrating on the heel area) to banish dry, flaky skin on the feet.
- For hair – If you have dry hair or flaky scalp, use a dime-sized amount of olive oil after shampooing and massage onto the scalp area. Let sit for 5- 10 minutes and then rinse off. Do this once a week until the condition of your hair improves.
- For face – Use a olive oil based shaving soap, cleansing milk and moisturizer. Make sure that the products use pure olive oil and natural ingredients for the best results. A good example is the Italian made range of Riana Naturale and Olive products, available at the mens fashion website malebox.
Check out some of the range below…
Now that you have your skincare regime sorted, here are some more uses for olive oil to keep you feeling your best:
- Lip balm- Instead of using a waxy stick to relieve chapped lips, try rubbing a dab of olive oil on them instead.
- Fine lines and wrinkles- Rubbing oil into line and wrinkles on the face morning and night can be just as effective as using an anti-aging cream.
- Eczema and psoriasis- Many people have found relief by using pure olive oil to remedy eczema and psoriasis- often with better results than topical steroid creams. Apply 3-4 times daily to see an improvement within 2 weeks.
For just a few dollars, keeping olive oil in your kitchen pantry will provide numerous uses and benefits for your skin and hair. As with any new product, check with your doctor before you using it on your skin in case of allergic reaction.
Browse more men’s gifts for the man that has everything at Malebox.