Up until recently, image consultants have had a reputation for working with two types of clients only – the rich and the famous. Hollywood celebrities, jet-setter executives and public figures always had a stylist on hand to ensure that their impeccable image was maintained. However, the rules have changed. People from all walks of life understand that looking good can help you be more confident and successful, and now image consultants work with everyone from company directors to stay-at-home mums.
Hiring an image consultant can be a daunting task for anyone – man or woman. Most people assume that an image consultant will show up at their house, raid their closet (throwing out most of its contents) and generally make their clients feel intimidated and self-conscious about their appearance, but this is not the case. A qualified image consultant’s job is to find workable solutions to fit each individual client’s need to look and feel their best.
In more specific terms, a good image consultant will:
- Do a full consultation of the client’s lifestyle - career, leisure interests, financial limitations, family responsibilities, and so on.
- Discuss with the client what their goals are. For example: to gain confidence, feel equal to their snappy dressing colleagues, update their style before starting a new job or even to look slimmer… these are all common reasons for hiring an image consultant.
- Body shape, hair and face analysis - Suggestions will be made on how to find the best clothing, accessories, eyewear and hairstyles to suit the client. Do you know what types of clothing suit your body and face shape?
- Colour direction - Would you wear a fluorescent tie to an interview? Of course not… do you know what colours are suited to your hair, eyes and skin tone? If you are one of the lucky few who do that is great. If you have any doubt, this is a critical area for you. An image consultant can help you with your direction, or have an in depth colour analysis done on you. You will never doubt your colour choice again… and your partner can stop buying you ties in the wrong colour from now on!
- Trend update - the client should be taught how to find the latest mens fashion trends and apply them to their lifestyle. The consultant will arm clents with the right style advice so they can pick out key trends and add them to their wardrobes.
- Perform a closet sweep to get rid of a few outdated pieces that have not been used in a long time or things that do not flatter the client. It is our job to ensure you look great every time you walk out the door. Are you confident that your clothes are appropriate for the circumstances in which you wear them?
- Shopping experience - Many image consultants will accompany the client on a shopping day, showing them the best places to shop for their style and budget, and encouraging them to try things that are made to flatter their body shape. Clients are often surprised at how much they learn on a shopping trip, simply by having someone choose new items for them and explain why they suit them.
- Hair and face makeover - The consultant will go through trendy haircuts and suggest an updated style for the client. Some consultants can even offer their clients discounts at top salons, so they are assured of a quality, fashion-forward haircut. Skin care regimes are also looked at, with suggestions made for better skin and grooming options (for example: eyebrow shaping). For female clients, makeup analysis is also included.
- Support - Image consultants are also great for ongoing support and advice. If you have a special event to prepare for (like a wedding or important business trip) or just a general question about fashion, having an image consultant is a great resource to have on your side and is also a great gift for men.
Benefits of Hiring an Image Consultant
Here are some great reasons to hire an image consultant:
- Increase your confidence in career and personal life.
- Gain knowledge on modern fashion and lifestyle trends.
- Make better use of your money – no more wasting money on clothes that don’t fit or flatter you.
- More time for you – spend less time worrying about what to buy – your image consultant can show you how to shop efficiently, or do it for you!
- Eliminate “What was I thinking?!” outfits- with the help of an image consultant you will always look your best.
- Never have to walk into a room wondering if you are dressed correctly. Do you know the difference between a lounge suit and a dinner suit?
Men are increasingly enjoying the benefits of maintaining a fashion forward image. It is easier than you think, and with the help of a qualified image consultant you will quickly be on your way to improved personal style, increased confidence and more free time to do things that you enjoy, rather than fret over your appearance. To learn more about hiring an image consultant, contact malebox Image Consultants for a consultation.